37 people were taken to hospital after being injured by a gas cloud on the holiday island of Phuket in Thailand on Saturday. Among those affected are nine Swedes, the situation is most serious for a Swedish woman who is seven months pregnant. She cared for now in intensive care at Bangkok Hospital in Phuket.
30 INJURED , a chlorine tank in the pool area at hotel Phuket Orchid Resort exploded and several injured.
The accident occurred at the pool area at the Phuket Orchid Resort in Karon Beach. It was a tank with chlorine exploded. Chlorine is used to purify the water in the pool. The idea was for the pool and a large gas cloud spread across the crowded pool area.
- It was great förrvirringen right after the hit. People thought it was a bomb, they are frightened by this week's terrorist attacks in Bangkok, said a police source told Aftonbladet.
Police sources on Phuket confirmed for Aftonbladet that a total of nine Swedish citizens were injured so severely that they were taken to hospital. At 16 o'clock, local time, there were still five of them left the hospital.
All those injured were transferred to two different hospitals: Phuket International and Bangkok Hospital Phuket.
27-year-old woman intensive care
The situation is most critical for the 27-year-old woman who is seven months pregnant. She intensive care in Bangkok Hospital. According to hospital sources, a pediatrician now in place because the woman had premature contractions. The woman's husband and four-year daughter cared for at Phuket International Hospital.
Two more Swedes remain in hospital for treatment. They have suffered burns to the throat.
The hotel owner has confirmed that it was a technical failure of the chlorine tank that caused the accident.
In total 37 people were taken to hospital.